Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Playa del Carmen and Diving in Cozumel (part one)

After we flew into Cancun, we took a bus straight for Playa del Carmen which is another hub for travellers through the Riviera Maya. Like New York, it has its Avenida 5, but it is filled with souvenir shops and tour sellers, as well as a little shop selling pictures with tiny monkeys. We decided to take advantage of its prime location on the caribbean sea and its proximity to Cozumel to go SCUBA diving, which we hadn´t done since Belize a year ago. We dove with Geofish, run by a nice guy from Denver who decided to move down here and follow his dream of owning a dive shop. Turns out it´s not exactly profitable. I guess I´ll have to reevaluate my dream of doing the same thing! Anyway, last thursday we took the ferry across the bay to Cozumel where we were picked up by an texan who ran dive shop on the island, and were soon on a boat out to our first Dive Site.
We did two dives, and on both we saw turtles, sting rays, and of course the hundreds (mas o menos) of colorful fish one finds in the caribbean.
Here are some pictures from diving, but first, our first view of the Caribbean in Playa del Carmen:

Playa Playa


Glug Love


Blenny
A Blenny


Lionfish
These lionfish are not native to the caribbean (in fact I saw one on my dive in Australia), but an aquarium broke and a few got out and mated and the rest is modern history...


Sandy Ray


Seabiscuit


Sea Star


Tortuga
The second of the two turtles we saw on our dives. He was pretty nonchalantly swimming near us, and let us get pretty close.


Triggerfish
This lovely painted lady is a Triggerfish


Angelfish
A very colorful Angelfish and its entourage


Pink fins
I had no idea my fins were this pink


Crabby
A Very Large Hermit Crab indeed, who had apparently stolen a Conch Shell


Leap of babes
After our first dive, we had a lovely lunch of Guacamole, Pico de Gallo, and sandwiches and anchored near a beach. I dove in and Jim caught me mid-leap.


Pelican
This Pelican was on the dock in Cozumel, and was very friendly, or at least tolerant. We got within a foot before the dock security told us to get away from the side.


Hotel for Dogs
Finally, the adorable dogs at the Hotel we stayed at in Playa (Barrio Latino).


We´re back in Playa now, and we finally got our PIN so we can get cash out at an ATM which saves us a hell of a lot of hassle. We are going back to Tulum tomorrow to finally relax on the beach for at least 5 nights. We´re having a good time, but it´s been kind of stressful with the money situation (and a bout of "Traveller´s Sickness") but I think now we´ll be able to really enjoy ourselves.

3 comments:

  1. Once again, you absolutely amaze me with your photography and storytelling :~) Wow! Unbelievable. As you know, I've done some diving in the Caribbean and the view is almost indescribable in it's beauty as I'm sure you are experiencing! I'm sorry you got a bout of Traveller's sickness (to put it kindly) but almost everyone I've known including myself has experienced that when venturing into Mexico. I pray that's all over with and that you have an extraordinary time this week! I look forward to seeing you and hearing/seeing all about it when you get back :~) Thinking of you both with love always ~
    Your Debs

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love the Angel(ica) flying over the ocean, and the Giantbird. Have a great rest of vacation. Love, Momma and Brotha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing couple. I love the photo of the 2 of you underwater as well as the one of Angelica jumping off the boat into Jim's arms. They exemplify your love for each other as well as your love for the journey of life that you are on together. I can't wait to hear and see more! thank you! Love YELM Lucanne

    ReplyDelete