Saturday, June 13, 2009

Jim's Introduction

An apology and a beginning

I want to apologize in advance for my disorganized writing style. It has been a while since I've been forced to write anything and I'm a bit rusty. Please bear with me, and I hope to improve with time.

With that said, here goes. After trying the 9-5 grind, I can safely say that it isnt't for me. My voyage of self discovery is only beginning and the road is calling my name. Angelica and I have dared to answer that call and together we hope to have all sorts of wonderful adventures. We decided the best way to do that is by buying a camper van and touring the country! (Going where ever the wind takes us.)

The journey as a metaphor

This journey is a way for me to work on myself physically, intellectually, and spiritually. For all my time on this earth, I have barely lived. My goal is to expose myself to as many visceral, direct experiences as possible. I believe that this is the only way for me to learn what the world has to offer and discover my place within it.

Personal growth is a private subject. So why create this blog? It is a way to record my beliefs and ideas as well as chronicle events so that I may continue to learn from them long after the moments have passed. But most importantly, a blog might imbue me with a sense of responsibility to fill it with interesting experiences. The only way to do that is to have them. Instead of letting my natural shyness get in the way, I will throw myself headfirst into any and all interactions.

Getting Personal

I've always found it hard to define myself so I'll start with my name. I'm Jim and I'm from New York. I worked in I.T. up until a few months ag0 when I was laid off. I like adventure, travel, hiking, exploration but haven't had much of an opportunity to do any of that. I'm also deeply interested in the mind. How we learn, what we're capable of, and why we do the things we do. I spent a large portion of my life living in my own head and I'd like to hear what the world has to say. I'm newly 23 years old and my childhood is for all purposes, over. However, I don't feel like I've been tested. There was no defining moment to catapult me into adulthood and waiting for one will get me nowhere. Leaving my life behind was difficult but I now have the chance and it may not come again. I've decided to take it.

Some thoughts on travel


The idea has always seemed appealing to me. Beautiful places, interesting stories, and a break from the monotony of the day to day. Foreign travel is expensive and uncertain. As it stands, I don't think I have enough experience to successfully handle this sort of trip so it will have to wait. However, there is an enormous range of possibilities right here at home in the US of A. I've spent almost all my time in New York City and as much as I love it, it's time to see the rest of it.

Being a city boy, I've seldom wandered experienced the joys of nature. The time I spent upstate were some of the happiest I can remember. The idea of the wild really appeals to me and I spend a lot of time watching nature/survival shows. But as anyone will tell you, this isn't a substitute for the real thing, so for this trip, I want to focus on the great outdoors. Hiking, camping, and backpacking are all things I want to experience. I had one major hiking trip in the past and it wasn't a walk in the park but it was very rewarding and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Social goals

I've always been shy and it's something I am struggling to overcome. I can listen to people for hours but when it comes to having a conversation, I get anxious. I blame this on all the years I spent watching TV. I feel more comfortable when conversations are one sided. However, I also want to meet people and listen to their stories and learn how they live. There are various communities of people that live on the periphery of society. I think they are the most interesting kind. My goal is to push myself and overcome my resistance to social situations.

The plan is a van

Taking all this into account, we decided to sink our savings into buying a van, outfitting it with some essentials, and living out of it full time. (All for about 10 grand.) After that, our only responsibility will be freedom. That has always been a dream of mine.

However, the first step is to buy the van. We left our lives behind and made the trip from New York to Ohio to start a new life. This has proven to be no easy task. The vehicles we want are pretty far out of our price range. But we're going to keep looking. I just know we will find our new home soon.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jim
    Thank you for these beautiful words, and for inspiring thoughts and reflections the way you are. I am so grateful for your sharing; and I am so happy that you and Angelica are having these times together to experience life and explore and learn all that you are. I can't wait to see you soon. Thank you, Jim. Celeste, all the pets and I are here for you all always. Love, Lucanne

    ReplyDelete